31 December 2010

2010

I can't quite believe it, but 2011 is just a couple of hours away, and I've just got used to 2010....
How can one summarize this year that soon will just be a distant memory? What has left unforgettable memories in my soul, what has made me cry and smile, who has inspired me and helped me up from the gutter over and over again?

I will try to paint a picture of 2010, and with this I want to wish you all a very happy new year. May it be a good and inspirational new year.

Here we go:

*Last winter: let's be honest: last winter was too long, too much snow and too bad air (especially in Bergen) 86 cm of snow on our lawn was just a little bit too much. Don't mistake what I'm saying: I like snow, and last winter was most of the time like a Christmas-card compared to the previous winters in my life (used to rain, or sleet)

*Writing of my bachelorthesis: this was my chance to show I could write a neutral, academic paper. I had 6000 words, deadline in May and lots of leprechauns dancing around in my head. The simple reason for this was my subject: Irish immigrants in Boston and New York between 1850 and 1916. You may also have noticed my love for Ireland during several posts dealing with rebels, whiskey and historic events from the green isle in the West.
Anyway, this thesis never turned out to become neither neutral or academic. I felt like I wrote this with my own blood, and more than once could my friends find me cursing over some historic fact that presented the Irish in a rather bad light...
But I surprised everybody the day I had my oral exam, by talking my grade up. The most surprised person must have been one of the bartenders in the nearby Irish pub where I had actually wrote most of my thesis. He couldn't believe that I could concentrate in such an environment as a busy pub, but I proved him wrong.

*My uncle died in March, and this left a big hole in the family. He had always been a pillar, and such a funny guy. He got diagnosed with stomach-cancer in January (my grandfather died from that condition too before I was born), but it turned out that it had spread. When someone dies so suddenly, you go into a state of shock. One wants to believe that they will keep on living, one looks for them, feel their presence for a long time. I will always miss him.

*Letter-writing: This year has also been that year when I took up letterwriting on a more serious basis, and I'm so thankful for the friends I have made throughout the years. There's nothing like opening the mailbox and see a handwritten letter just for you. I'd like to give a big thank you-hug to all my penpals and especially Steven McLaughlin, Daniel Mounter, Eugene Gorelikov, Stu Montana, Siân Millward, Sébastien Lioux and Martin Barth. Your wonderful ideas and advices have been an amazing support in the dark days this year, and I cannot thank you enough for being there for me and inspire me. I truly appreciate everything about our correspondence, whether it has been at the mercy of a rather unstable postal service or over the Internet.
Thank you


*Ireland: 2010 was the year I made a dream come true. My friends and family was so tired of hearing my constant talking about going to Ireland, that they gave me tickets as a birthday-present. I was overjoyed, was this actually happening? I will not repeat the whole story, as you can read it here on my blog, but this trip will stay in my memory until the day I die, and I really hope, no I know, I will return one day. A big thanks to Steven and his family for letting me staying with them, and for accompanying me to Dublin. Siân; a BIG hug to you too :D




*Rammstein: what to say? Rammstein in Bergen was unbelievable. The waiting and the freezing was totally forgot the moment they stepped on the stage at Koengen. I had no voice the next day, and my whole body ached...but it was so worth it ^^
*Police: the past year has also been quite heavy a couple of days, but with the help from my dear friends and penpals I can stand tall today. The police wanted me for questioning because things came to the surface that was so nervewrecking and disturbing (sorry, can't go into detail). I have fought off a couple of demons this year, and my hope for next year is that I will be able to put these bad experiences behind me and look forward and see the opportunities that comes with it.

*Music: I haven't sung so much this year, since I had a 6 months leave from Bergen Philharmonic Choir while writing my thesis. But this last semester have indeed been amazing, ending with a most extraordinary concert, conducted by Andrew Litton. Brahms "Liebeslieder waltzer" was a challenge for the choir, since we normally don't sing stuff like that and in a church. But it was a good experience for us. The extraordinary concert I keep referring to was our Christmas-concert; "Dona Nobis Pacem" by Vaughan Williams. This piece was one of the most addictive pieces I've ever sung, it was tough, inspirational and totally amazing. And when Litton supposedly said that this was the BEST choirconcert he had EVER conducted afterwards, I couldn't stop smiling.

*University: Just one small thing to say on this subject: YES! I've proven to the world that I could do it. I now possess a bachelor-degree in history, after passing my last exams with flying colors.

So as you see, 2010 haven't been a total waist, but I still hope that 2011 can be even better.
I will indeed try to get my poems published, sing even more and keep my head up high.
So here I raise a glass to all my friends, both home and abroad, and say: "Thank you for a wonderful year, and may 2011 be even more magical and inspirational for you all!
Happy New Year! 
Cheers!"

2 comments:

"Nurse" Dan said...

In a word- beautiful!
:'-)

Steve said...

It's a little late now, but Happy New Year to you too :) I'm still jealous that you got to see Rammstein :D I really hope I can see them some day.