21 December 2010

20. december - what makes christmas?

This can seem somewhat hasty, and I have my reasons for it: plenty to do
But as I've so often recently have pointed out: Christmas must be the time of year with most traditions and intriguing ways of performing them. Everything has its tradition, from what to eat, where to be and to what to watch and listen to.
So what makes Christmas to me? I've already pointed out a couple of things in my previous posts, but it will be somewhat difficult to present the idea of Christmas in my head, since it is mostly connected to sounds and smells. Please bear over with me...
*The smell of Pinnekjøtt (the traditional christmas-dish in my part of the country; dried and salted lambs rib, boiled for no less than 6 hours, served with potatoes, mashed swedes, brussel sprouts and gravy)
*The sound of Jussi Björling singing "O helga Natt" (O holy night). This swedish tenor (may he rest in peace) was one of the most amazing singers the world have ever seen (or heard). He was so professional in everything he did, and who can ever forget his version of the Pearlfisher's duet together with Robert Merrill. I've already posted "O helga natt" here, so I'll let you enjoy the duet instead:


 

Christmas gives me a chance to be quite childish, which means Disney plays an important role. And there's one short film I really love, and here you got it
 

One last thing that is really needed for the sake of the christmasspirit is one christmas-decoration: the headless angel...this is an angel in golden paper, with a polystyrene-head. Well, it doesn't have it's head anymore, because when my brother was just a toddler, he bit it off (!)
But we use it every Christmas anyway, and it has for the last couple of years had its own place on the mantelpiece together with a similar angel (which still have its head...)

There are probably hundreds of traditions I've forgotten to mention, but I hope this little description has given you as a reader a little idea of what makes Christmas in my head

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We might all forget that there is quite a famous "headless angel" that graces the grand staircase in the Louvre...Your angel is in good company despite her apparent deficiencies...