31 May 2010

Social solitude, fabulous brothers and migrant-"problems"

It has truly been an interesting week, but it isn't over yet. Let me take it from the start:

I've had the house for myself for the past week, because my little sister was away on a schooltrip to Greece (it's a wonder that it didn't turn bankrupt while they were there...) and my parents was in Washington. This was because my dad follows an exhibition around the world with fish and other creatures from the deep, deep sea, and my mother chose to follow him this time.
But was I lonesome? I wouldn't say so. Solitude can be positive, in order to get a chance to think. I find it pretty difficult to concentrate, so to be able to hear my own thoughts was a huge relief.
I put away the curriculum for a few days (maybe that was a bad idea, but it was driving me insane), and just enjoyed the freedom. Some of my best friends came over for dinner, and I've proved that I'm not a lousy cook, just very traditional (don't ask me to make anything fancy...that will definitely get your kitchen burnt down  ^^)


So I made my favorite-dish: Raspeballer.

This was followed by some great movies and lots of talking. When things are working out perfectly, I tend to be quite a talkative person. Hugs were given and received and I could go to bed with a smile on my face.
THANK YOU

But I have also made some new friends this week. Two students from Germany and Finland desperately needed a place to stay for the weekend, and asked me :D
They turned out be some fantastic people, and we had so much fun during the 3 days they were with me. I showed them my city, and while doing so I discovered that I know much more than I thought. I felt more alive then ever while telling the stories about the kings, merchants and witches of Bergen. so if you want a good story, just ask me...

Today is it only two days until freedom, and thanks to all my friends, I have found my way back to both inspiration and motivation. I want to to this! I want to show the world that I can manage to tell the story of the Irish immigrants in Boston and New York in a good way, a way that would (hopefully) make an Irishman smile....


Drawing by Thomas Nash, depicting the Irish as a bizarre 
hybrid between a boxer and an orangutan

Last but not least: my brother. He had his exam today, and since he's training to be a classical singer, he had to prepare a 45-minute concert. And what a concert!
He sung 6 pieces by a pretty unknown composer named Carl Loewe (1796-1869) and it struck that my brother is the born actor. The way he changes his voice and "behavior" to mimic the different feelings and even persons was just amazing to see.
The next he sung was in a total other direction tonally: Hugo Wolf's "Michelangelo Lieder" no 2 and 3. His eyes were shooting lightning while singing, and it seemed that he believed in what he was singing.
Then we got a very famous aria from "Eugen Onegin" by Pjotr Tchaikovsky; Gremins Aria. this was a true pearl, and wonderful to listen to :)
The two last pieces was from La Sonnambula (The Sleepwalker) by Bellini, and Simon Boccanegra by Verdi.His voice was so tender, and still so strong. you could think that he was crying....

So it has been a wonderful week, and I thank everybody who has been a part of it



No comments: