16 May 2010

Bang!

Yesterday was really a day when I could be proud of my city and its traditions. Because this was the "Buekorpsenes Day", when they would show who was best in town. For you who doesn't know this tradition or what a buekorps is, I will give you a little update.
Buekorps (can be translated with archer brigade) is a tradition from Bergen who started in the middle of the 19th century. When the men was drilling and rehearsing, the boys where standing beside and mimicking them. Many of the neighbourhoods around the city-centre has their own "brigade" and they are divided into Saturday- and Sunday-brigades. The one that marched/ drilled on Saturdays were the ones that had parents that had money, and therefore could give their sons the day off that day. Sunday was for the working-class boys. Now anyone can join them :)

from ba.no

Yesterday they were really showing off, and one guy from every brigade had to prove that his brigade was the best, either by drumming or carrying the banner.
I could feel every beat from the drums from my head to my toe, and I couldn't stopp smiling. This is Bergen, my beloved hometown ^^


There is no sound on this, sorry :/

But here are some pictures of those gallant guys ^^






No comments: