29 July 2010

My trip to Ireland - part 1

Well, hello again. I've been neglecting my blog the last few weeks and I hope you can forgive. I do have a reason you know: Ireland. Finally was I going to the land of green, rebels and poets, I couldn't believe that it was happening.
In this blog-post I will let the pictures I've taken speak for themselves, with some small descriptions and funny facts.
Ireland proved to be even better and more amazing than I could ever have dreamt it would be. It seems like there is something in the water, in the air and in the blood that makes it such a wholesome experience to visit this country.

I've started out from Bergen the 12th of July, and I hadn't slept at all the previous night. Since there are no direct routes from Bergen to Dublin, I had to make my way to Oslo first. Walking like a zombie through the airport, and I hadn't realized yet that I was going to the green isle in the west.
Even when I landed in Dublin, the whole thing was in a haze and I didn't had so much time to think about it anyway since I had a bus to catch, bus that would take me over the border to Northern Ireland and Derry (or Londonderry as some lost souls like to call it). Of course I couldn't sleep on the bus either, because every little thing seemed so interesting. I saw sheep, kettle, horses and hedges practically EVERYWHERE! Another beautiful feature of Ireland is the landscape. You can see so far, in all directions.

Anyway, I arrived in Derry without too much difficulty, except that I was extremely tired.
Most of my time in Ireland was I going to spend on the farm of one of my penpals, Steven, outside Buncrana in Donegal. And believe me when I say that this place is remote from everything, and the only thing one can hear is the wind and the occasional rain mixed with the bleating of the sheep nearby. This was a place I could think without being interrupted by anything.

The wind that shakes the grass; Mother Nature's lullaby

Wild and beautiful

A sunny morning in Upper Tullydish

Steven and Flipper
She is a petlamb and the bond they have is just amazing to behold

While I was there I got to do so much walking, both uphill and downhill. Everywhere I looked I could see something beautiful, either a view that would be fit for Heaven or a small detail that was too fascinating to just walk past. I've seen windmills up close and I sincerely hope that Norway can learn something from Ireland on this point. They were actual quite beautiful :)

My days in Donegal was never boring, and with walking-trips almost every day did I really get my fresh air. I've now seen churches,  old forts, beautiful and mighty parks and forests, endless beaches with not a soul on them. I've seen a hare, bogs, insects and a donkey. This donkey is the only creature on the emerald isle that have seen my underwear...

Isn't he cute?

I've also bonded a little with Flipper since I got the chance to feed her a couple of times while I was there. I'm kinda glad that she drank milk and not Guinness, because she's an amazingly fast drinker. She would kick very Irishman's arse in a drinkingcompetion :p and she always want to be cuddled afterwards...I cross my fingers for her and wish her all the best in life

Don't compete with this one....

So happy

I also did some sketching while I was in Donegal, and since I'm terrible at it but still wanted to try, Flipper was suddenly jumping on a trampoline in my mind ^^

This would be all for now, but next chapter in this fascinating story will be posted next week.
Until then, ciao!

1 comment:

Steve said...

I loved the Flipper photos :) Also the morning shot beside the shed is beautiful. Looking forward to the next part, even when I already know the story ^^