7 April 2010

Oslo; part II

Well, I'm back again and this time I will tell you all about the rest of my stay in Oslo. the Saturday was amazing, but what about Sunday and Monday? Were they to be as magical as that Saturday, which could be pretty hard to top.
Well, started out the same place as yesterday, at the Dubliner. This was my birthday and what could be more appropriate to start out with than a Guinness and a meal of fish and chips (well, to be precise..there was Guinness in that one too)


Beautiful details in the pub

Yummy!

After that wonderful dinner, the next spot on the program was Tannhäuser at the Opera. And what an amazing experience that was. The singers were superb, the orchestra magical, the scenes unbelievable and the choir so powerful that I had goosebumps when it all was over. It was like I had been carried away to a different time and place where the art was pure, without being worried about money or being wrong. So one word: MAGICAL

Beautiful architecture, but is it right that an opera-house meant for the public should be sooo expensive?


So much glass that the light can shine through...


I sat HERE (can't believe it)


Very cool


And by night...what can I say?

My birthday ended with a pint of Guinness, while talking to a man I never thought I'd meet: THE SOLOIST! He's the coolest singer I have ever met, and we talked about all from the weather to drinking-experiences. So this was a night worth remembering ^^



My heaven: BOOKS
The last day in our "lovely" capital was spent wandering the streets and suddenly I found my heaven, right across of The Dubliner: An old bookstore who had the most beautiful books I've seen in a long time. These were properly made, each and everyone was made by hand, it was art. I even found a 1st edition of William Butler Yeats poems from 1890-1905. I could almost feel his presence between the pages and in every word. But I couldn't buy it, because I didn't have 3800,- kr. I still have dreams about this book, and I will value books even more now, and I hope that internet will not "kill" the books. Nothing is like sitting by the fire, with your favorite book amd a cup of tea beside you. To let go of all your worries and dive into the stories with all your soul and heart

 
A ship hanging from the ceiling...I think that this would be a place where Tolkien and Lewis could have walked around, discussing books and stories

So this trip to Oslo was memorable and fun, and I got a chance to see my capital in a new light.
So goodbye for now


Slainté!

No comments: