17 December 2011

My Irish adventure: A day in Derry...with complications


I'm back again and this chapter will deal with what happened in Derry...I guess you are a bit curious now
Let me get started:

******
Bogside
The original plan was to go to Derry the same day as we would be leaving for Belfast, but luckily Michael had some things that needed to be tended to there, so we got a lift across the border into Northern Ireland. 
And what a feeling it was being back in Derry. As the historyinterested person I am, I tried to give my sister a teeny-weeny-historylesson about the place...which failed. So after 10 minutes in Bogside we split up, and I had no idea when I would see her again that day....


Amazing details in some of the murals in Bogside

The peacedove rises above imprisonment

The famous wall of Derry...still a symbol


So I went up on the wall, and decided to walk the opposite direction as I did a year ago with Steven and Amanda, and soon I found the little church close to the wall again: St Augustine

It feels so much bigger inside

The details in the stained glass-windows are amazing, so colorful

I was so amazed by this eagle last year since it reminds me of "Boondock Saints"

Detail from the eagle

Detail from the wall
When I got out, I decided to find a shortcut to Guildhall, the cityhall, but as I should know by now: "A shortcut is the longest distance between two points"....so by chance I ended up in Fountain by chance, and it started raining. So stood there under the bridge and just took in the feeling the place gave me...it felt a bit weird being down there, and not standing somewhere else and looking over a fence...


Identity? Definitely yes

This definitely shouts "HOSTILITY"

Would the world be a better place if everyone drank tea instead of fighting eachother?

When the rain stopped, I started walking towards the busstation to get the bus back to Ballyliffin, and guess who I ran into? My sister! We had plenty of time before the bus that would alledgedly bring us back to Ballyliffin (we had seriously no idea) was going, so we decided to do some shopping for Michael and surprise him with a proper dinner. So when  that was done, we got on the bus....and guess where we ended up?

CARNDONAGH!

So just 10 km away from Ballyliffin with no idea of how to get there...what should we do?
We started walking....and guess what? Things seems a bit upside down in Donegal, since the first sign I passed said that it was 8 km left to Ballyliffin...while the next said 9....weird
But finally a very sweet lady picked us up and drove us...cannot imagine how long it would have taken us to walk that distance with all we had to carry...

So that evening we surprised Michael with mushroomrisotto and appletart...and he even did not know that he had a springform pan. So an eventful day ended most perfectly.
Next time: geocaching

1 comment:

Steve said...

I can't believe you guys tried to walk from Carn to Ballyliffin haha It's great that woman showed up to give you a lift!
I love that little church in Derry too, it's so nicely decorated.