1 December 2011

My Irish adventure: Ballyliffin 2

Yes, while the storm rages outside I will tell you all about the first evening in Ballyliffin and the following days. Ready? Well, here goes....

Michael was very busy working in the shop, but he popped by now and then to see how we were settling in. He told us that there would be a tradsession in Culdaff,  a tiny village north of Ballyliffin that evening, and since I had my fiddle with me it would be such a shame if I didn't join in. So off we went, chatting about everything and nothing, and Michael told us about the area.
The pub we were going to (McGrory's) was just like a proper Irish pub should be; warm and cosy with lots of people.

Solveig in her right element
Great musicians
Wonderful atmosphere


At first we just talked and listened to the musicians that were already there, and you could say it was quite impressive that Michael managed to talk me into this...with a little help from a french lady I believe

Me playing  the "Bergen song"...which has a slight resemblance with the Irish national anthem....

So here I was with my fiddle, in the middle of a tradsession...it felt like a shock of pleasure to sit beside these talented musicians and jam with them. The other fiddler was sooo amazing, I simply could not believe how fast her fingers moved. Very inspiring. They asked me to play something from Norway and the first thing that popped up in my mind was the citysong from Bergen (which is actually a french menuet). The funny thing is that this song is somewhat similar to the Irish national anthem; Amhrán na bhFiann, which is played at closing time...so people were wondering about what was happening.
But I made it right by playing a norwegian dance called tretur (has to do with doing something three times) and after getting a pint of Guinness on the house for being with the musicians, I sang "Black is the colour". You could have heard a needle drop if you were there, it gave me goosebumps. Such an amazing experience!

So when we drove home I couldn't stop smiling. But noone saw it as the night in Donegal is the darkest there is...

No comments: