12 October 2011

My Irish adventure: Letterkenny part 1

Letterkenny. A place where the craic really shines through, and the place where the craziness took another detour through our story.

When we drove into Donegal, the bus was packed...but this didn't stop the busdriver from picking up even more passengers in Bundoran who was going to Derry. One of them fell asleep on Solveig's shoulder, and when we were getting off in Letterkenny, she had to step over him..

We were going to stay at Brian's (Couchsurfing) place, and what a guy this is. Crazy? YES, but oh so fun to be around. When we arrived at his place which was located in a small forest (it felt like a forest, so don't contradict me), there were already 4 other Couchsurfers there: Aimée and Elie who were from France, Frank who came from Germany and Samira from Switzerland

Brian's place was so cool! There was so much to see, it was very cosy and he had certainly put his own touch to it. Samira made us dinner, which was really delicious, and the evening/night got spent talking, joking and singing. My fiddle got put to good use, Brian played some songs for us (he's an amazing guitarplayer) and we had a great time...even if some of us (not me) almost fell asleep...
Aimée and Elie
The next morning Brian cooked us a hearty Irish breakfast, and we bid farewell to Aimée, Elie and Frank who were moving on. Later another couchsurfer would arrive, so Brian stayed in the house while Samira, Solveig and me went on a little sightseeing trip around Donegal.

The hills and loughs of Donegal
Even in rain, the beauty of this place shines through. I felt like I had come home...

BAAAA!
We were heading for Fanad Head, and around each bend of the road, there was a surprise in store for us. Cute sheep, an amazing view or some beautiful flowers.

I miss DONEGAL!

What have my sister found?

The road goes ever on and on
Last summer when I travelled around these parts of the country with my friend Steven, I was stunned by the sheer beauty of the county as a whole. How was it possible that such a treasure was unknown to most people, even the Irish? And when I returned this year, I could once more breath freely in the natural beauty of my favourite place on this earth: Donegal county.
I was home....
Such a peaceful place
Stocker Strand. Another place I could have just sat down and stayed there for hours. Even if it was raining, and the wind made the raindrops feel like ice, the beauty and the peacefulness made the experience of standing there so worth it.

Let me wander here, night and day
But of course we couldn't stay there for an eternity, so we drove on...and then...far from everything...we found Fanad Head
The lighthouse at Fanad Head
And here I found something I had been looking for: DONKEYS
So I stood there, in the pouring rain in my jacket which was anything but waterproof and TALKED to the donkeys...aren't they CUTE?
You gotta love them...

looks like this one is up for some mischief...

Can you see Malin Head?
Dripping wet, but very happy (and smelling like a wet sheep = my amazing Aran sweater), I got back in the car and we drove back to Brian's place where we lit a nice, warm fire and relaxed before the new couchsurfer would arrive.

COSY ^^
What will happen next? Stick around, and you will soon find out....

No comments: