10 October 2011

My Irish adventure: an interlude between Cork and Letterkenny

So after two busy, but fun days in Cork we had to find our maps again and this time we would head north....far north. Our next destination would be Letterkenny and from Cork that is nearly a 10 hour busdrive (!)
But we had brought this on ourselves, and was determined to make the best of the 10 hours....

 The weather was kind of gray'ish, but the bus from Cork to Galway was packed, so we didn't care. I'm impressed by the drivingskills of the busdrivers in this country...even if they are late as hell...
Solveig found an interesting way to keep me awake: by saying 'sheep' and pointing at them EVERY f***ing time we passed a field...
When I got tired of sheep, she started the same routine with the horses and the cows...and there were plenty of them too
 It was kind of foggy, as you might see in the picture and my mind quickly drifted off into stories about fairies and mythical creatures...I have a vivid imagination

LOOK!!!! SHEEP!!
 On our way we kept our eyes open for placenames that we connected to songs we knew...and when we drove through Athy both "Johnny I hardly knew ye" and "Rocky road to Dublin" got sung....

The long and winding road to Donegal and Letterkenny
 I had been to Donegal county last summer and going back there felt...well....almost unbelievable. It felt like going home...

The Green fields of Ireland
 We drove through: Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal

I Galway we had to wait 1 hour for the bus that would take us from Galway to Letterkenny...hope I get a chance to see Galway properly next summer.
I Sligo we changed busdriver and the first thing he tells the passagers is to buckle up...and I'm glad we did. because such extreme driving on such small roads that he proved capable of, was amazing. My sister said a couple of time in awe that "it felt like flying"...

And before we knew it, we were in Letterkenny. And that is a story for our next chapter...TADAH!

No comments: