22 February 2010

Stuck

This shouldn't come as a surprise: I'm stuck! Again! Well, define 'stuck'...
I have ONE month to write almost 6000 words on irish emigration and how they got included or excluded in the american society. I have many thoughts, and I know what I want to write. My problem is that I cannot get the thoughts out of my head, and I feel that every word I chose is wrong. Annoying really, but that's just life playing a trick on me. I'll probably sit every day and night the next month and write....not having a life at all. Staring into the void, trying to catch my thoughts as they fly by. Oh no, I'm turning poetic again, and that is the worst threat for my thesis. If I could write it like I was writing a short story or a poem, ther wouldn't be any problem. But I have to write purely academic this time, and I hate it. It isn't me; when I write in that manner I betray my heart.
So looking for some inspiration...If you have some,will you share it with a poor girl who's stuck?


1 comment:

Steve said...

I see that your problem with getting stuck is a little related to what you talked about in your comment on my post too. I'm sure that whatever you write for your thesis will be great, but I bet if you were allowed to write in your beautifully poetic way that lets your passion for the subject shine through the writing then it could be 100x better for the reader. It's sad about the limits academic writing puts on creativity like that.

The only way I ever could do academic writing when I had reports to write was by writing in my own personal way, and then going back and "translating" it into less personal language. It always felt like sucking the heart out of the writing (which is exactly what it does do...) but it got the job done. I guess that's not advice you'd like to hear when you'd have 6000 words to do that with, but it's the only way I know to do that.
Anyway I wish you luck with getting inspired in some way with that.

PS I love your new title for your page :)