8 August 2011

My Irish Adventure: Cork/Cobh part 1

Cork. A place where the people talk really fast, so you got to listen VERY carefully when they try to tell you something. Beside that: I like Cork. This may come surprising to some, since I've gone on and on about how I don't like cities that much, but this place reminded me of home. Not too big, nor too small.

The busdrive from Waterford was nice, and we experienced all the different facets of the Irish weather...well, sunshine-rain-sunshine-rain (+ rainbow)-sunshine etc
After some misunderstandings we ended up at Kinlay's on the north side of the river. We were very tired after walking around with our backpacks (add a fiddle + some shoppingbags), so we took a nap before making dinner in the kitchen and exploring the hostel.
Our dorm..which we shared with 6 others...though it could take 18

Something to keep my mind off things...sadly it got lost somewhere between Letterkenny, Derry and Belfast

Beware; the wallmonster...its only craving is sausages
 The first evening we spent playing backgammon and making plans for the next day. We decided that we would go to Cobh (pronounced COVE)...and I will tell you all about it in just a few lines time.

**********

Cobh has a somewhat special place in my heart. Well, doesn't all of Ireland have such a position you might ask...
The simple reason for this is...my bachelorthesis. Writing so much about all the Irish men and women who left this small coastal town in search for a new and better life, left a mark in my soul. So I believe you can understand why I had to see it with my very own eyes

1 comment:

Steve said...

The Cork accent can be difficult even for me sometimes ^^ I really look forward to visiting there some day. I like the wall monster photo too :)